Cathy Breslaw's Installation

Cathy Breslaw's Installation
Cathy Breslaw's Installation:Dreamscape

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cathy Breslaw's recent gallery talk at Penn College, Williamsport, PA, May 22, 2012

This is a link to my video is of a recent gallery talk at my solo exhibition: "Illuminations", which runs through June 28th. It is always an honor and priviledge to exhibit my work - and in such a beautiful gallery space. I thank both Lenore Penfield,Gallery Director and Penny Lutz, Gallery Coordinator for this wonderful opportunity. I especially want to acknowledge Penny Lutz who installed my work and did such a great job with the placement and lighting. I view the installation process for my work at an exhibition as an actual part of the creation and completion of the artwork itself. My work depends greatly on lighting and placement. It is also good to converse with visitors viewing my work - I think the whole process of creating work, installing work, and then hearing from viewers about what they see is a collaborative process in the chain of experiencing art. It was also a real treat for me to have my former instructor at Claremont Graduate University, Connie Zehr, attend my opening and reception. My time at Penn College
was followed by 5 days in NYC where I had the chance to see the Whitney Biennial and visit from Chelsea galleries and the Metropolitan Museum of Art which, no matter where I travel, truely remains as my favorite museum. As americans, we should all treasure it and feel proud of how it is the keeper of our culture, and of many other cultural objects from around the world. A visit to the 9/11 memorial also stands out from my trip - I was there 5 years ago before the museum and memorial pools were created and it was good to be there and remember how incredibly lucky i am to be an american and to see the renewal of the human spirit represented in the re-building of the towers.

No comments:

Post a Comment