Cathy Breslaw's Installation

Cathy Breslaw's Installation
Cathy Breslaw's Installation:Dreamscape

Monday, September 19, 2011

Materials Inspire My Work





I began my visual art as a painter who used mostly waterbased materials like watercolors, inks, acrylics, but my curiousity about materials led me to using other materials that had a transparent-like feel to them like tissue papers, mylars, rolls of transparent plastic wrap, plastic bottles, mesh fabrics, and glass. Several years ago, on one of my trips to southeast asia(family business takes us there), I found an industrial plastic mesh and was able to visit the factory in Shanghai, China. The owners, Mr and Mrs Tsai, took me on a tour of their factory and explained that the machines you see in the photo(left) created the mesh by using multi-color plastic pellets and as they melt into the extrusion molding machines they produce a plastic mesh that resembles fabric in many different colors and patterns. I use the mesh, along with lots of other materials to create my work.
In this photo, left, the factory owners are showing me some of the products they make with the mesh - products for the wholesale grocery industry, decorative industry and construction industry and are shipped in room-sized containers on commercial ships all over the globe. I enjoy the process of experimenting with materials - manipulating them by twisting,layering,stretching,cutting,shaping, applying heat,and using whatever means I can to expand the possibilities of the materials.
I have the point of view that "all things are possible" and with that perspective, I approach materials as opportunities to create and express my ideas and concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment