Cathy Breslaw's Installation

Cathy Breslaw's Installation
Cathy Breslaw's Installation:Dreamscape

Friday, March 9, 2012

Thoughts about Oklahoma exhibition....

 "I Can't Contain Myself"
It was a fun, enlightening time in Oklahoma City last weekend - I flew there to be at the opening of my exhibition at JRB at the Elms Gallery in the El Paseo district of Oklahoma City. This beautiful, large, 8000 sq ft gallery, was teeming w/ people as it was the first friday of the month in the El Paseo district and tons of people filed through to enjoy their Friday evening experiencing good art, and good company. For me it is always an honor and a thrill to see my art hung in new spaces, and to engage with visitors about my work. It is a wonderful "pay off" for so many hours alone in the studio, creating work.  It is also  a fascinating experience to observe others observing my work. Often i can only guess at what they might be thinking about what they see - sometimes they share their thoughts w/ me and sometimes they keep it to themselves. Either way, I am left with the feeling that they were touched by it in some way - hoping their time w/ my work has been of benefit - at the very least, perhaps causing them to ask questions about what they think about art. As is always the case, travel has its unintended consequences as well and i want to mention my visit to the Oklahoma City National Memorial to all those who perished in the bombing in 1995. Seeing the memorial was very moving and emotionally compelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment